Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fall is here in full force...are your gardens ready?

Cedar Grove Two Way Top SoilImage by Cedar Grove Composting via Flickr
Have you ever driven up to your house and realized your flower beds have changed seasons without you? I had that lovely epiphany on Sunday. I looked around my yard and all my beautiful summer flowers were spent, my trees are turning colors, and my lawn looks tired!
 
How I could let this happen in the span of a few short weeks? To remedy my malaise with these withering blossoms, I pulled the cover off my pile of Cedar Grove's NW Garden Mulch and then drove to my neighborhood garden center. Right now you can find a lot of great fall colors and summer stock was on clearance (I got a dahlia for $2.50 that I would have paid triple for earlier in the year!). I replaced my summer containers with vibrant mums and purple asters. Another great pick up is the new ruffled winter pansies, lime green heuchera, and purple plume grass.


After planting my new plants and putting a good 3" layer of the NW Garden Mulch down around my plants, my landscape looks like a shiny penny!!
Now for my lawn. I picked up 1/2 yard of Cedar Grove Compost and raked it into my lawn, check out our how-to video on You Tube. I covered the grass and then raked vigorously until I could still see the blades of my grass. Now all I have to wait for is Mother Nature to take over and work it in. The grass will stay healthy through the fall and come back lush and green next spring.

For more tips and compost uses, join our e-mail list.


Remember: Fall is the second gardening season. Stay tuned for our next blog post when we talk about bulb planting season and dividing your plants before winter!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment