Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Late Summer/Early Fall tips

With the recent heat wave, I am dreading working outside in my yard. Staying indoors with the air conditioner on seems more enjoyable than doing yard work in the scorching sun. I then take a look outside and remind myself of how beautiful my yard is when my flowers are bloomed, shrubs are neatly trimmed, and my lawn is free from weeds.

If you are like me and want to enjoy what little summer we have left, here are a few tips you can do to make sure your garden is looking its best for the upcoming fall.

Be sure to dead head and nip back your annuals. Give them a dose of organic, water-soluble fertilizer so they will come back again next year.

Dead head your rose bushes. They will be good for one or two more blooms, especially if we have another Indian summer. Some perennials will give you a second blooming if you cut them back.

How's your lawn surviving this summer? September is a great month to work on your lawn, regardless if it survived the heat or wilted away. If your lawn is still in tact, spread out some compost to amend the soil or to top dress it. If you plan on installing a brand new lawn, try using Cedar Grove Two-way Topsoil. It's ideal for installation of news lawns or even maintaining existing landscapes.

Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment